Columbia – Nov. 1, 2017 -- Nine South Carolina college students from hospitality-related programs were given Tourism Student Awards Monday during a ceremony at the Lace House in Columbia. The students were recognized for outstanding academic achievement related to hospitality and tourism in South Carolina, including culinary studies.
The students were:
1. Ollie Burns, who recently graduated in the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management program at Clemson University;
2. Kara Mari Funk, who is majoring in Hospitality, Resort and Tourism Management at Coastal Carolina University;
3. Hunter Gaffney, who is double majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management and Business Administration at the College of Charleston;
4. Grayson Foster, who is majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management at the Culinary Institute of Charleston at Trident Technical College;
5. Sonja Volk, a culinary arts student at Greenville Technical College;
6. Christopher King, a culinary arts student at Horry-Georgetown Technical College;
7. Alison Phelps, a culinary arts student at Spartanburg Community College;
8. Alison Ann Lindsey, who is majoring in Tourism Management at the University of South Carolina, and
9. Angela Puleo, who is majoring in Hospitality Management at the University of South Carolina—Beaufort.
Each student received a plaque and a $1,500 scholarship.
Sponsored by the South Carolina Travel and Tourism Coalition, the Tourism Student Awards recognizes students who were recommended by faculty for exemplary work. Scholarships are provided through the Fred Brinkman Memorial Fund, which is funded through a silent auction held annually at the Governor’s Conference on Tourism & Travel.
For more information, contact Dawn Dawson-House at email@example.com or 803-734-1779.
Pictured left to right are Angela Puleo, USC-B; Alison Ann Lindsey, USC; Alison Phelps, Spartanburg Community College; Christopher King, Horry-Georgetown Tech; Sonja Volk, Greenville Tech; Duane Parrish, SCPRT Director; Grayson Foster, Trident Tech; Hunter Gaffney, College of Charleston; Kari Mari Funk, Coastal Carolina; and Ollie Burns, Clemson.