Recreational Trails Program
The South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism (SCPRT) administers the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) under the approval of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). RTP, a federally funded program, receives its funding from a portion of federal gas taxes paid on fuel used in nonhighway recreational vehicles.
- Funding is provided by this program on a cost-reimbursement basis — the grant recipient must pay 100% of the cost of an item before submitting a reimbursement request for 80% of eligible costs.
- Funds can be spent on both Motorized and Nonmotorized recreational trail projects — to construct new recreational trails, improve/maintain existing trails, develop/improve trailhead or trailside facilities and acquire trail corridors.
- Eligible applicants include local, state and federal governmental agencies, qualified private organizations, and registered nonprofits.
- Individual trail grants can range from a minimum of $10,000 ($12,500 would be the total project cost) to $100,000 maximum ($125,000—total project cost), with the exception of Motorized projects.
- Motorized trail projects are not limited to $100,000 — these projects are eligible for the maximum amount of Motorized funding available.
Find relevant information on the 2021 RTP grant cycle and past cycles below:
Guidance, Documentation and Forms for Project Sponsors:
Procurement Certification Form | Reimbursement Request Form | Individual Volunteer Timesheet | Group Volunteer Timesheet | FEMA Equipment Form | Project Completion Form | State Procurement Purchase Procedures | Procurement / Reimbursement Checklist | 2020 Project Status Report | 2018 & 2019 Project Status Report