Recreational Trails Program
The South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism (SCPRT) administers the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) under the approval of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). RTP, a federally funded program, receives its funding from a portion of federal gas taxes paid on fuel used in nonhighway recreational vehicles.
- Funding is provided by this program on a cost-reimbursement basis — the grant recipient must pay 100% of the cost of an item before submitting a reimbursement request for up to 80% of the eligible costs.
- Funds can be spent on both Motorized and Nonmotorized recreational trail projects — to construct new recreational trails, improve/maintain existing trails, develop/enhance trailhead or trailside facilities and acquire trail corridors.
- Eligible applicants include local, state and federal governmental agencies, qualified private organizations, and registered nonprofits.
- Individual trail grants can range from a minimum of $10,000 ($12,500 would be the total project cost) to $100,000 maximum ($125,000—total project cost), with the exception of Motorized projects.
- Motorized trail projects are not limited to $100,000 — these projects are eligible for the maximum amount of Motorized funding available.
Find relevant information on the upcoming 2024 RTP grant cycle and previous cycles below:
- 2024 RTP Grant Schedule (Updated 9/21/2023)
- 2024 RTP Application Guidance
- Eight SC trail projects receive more than $770K through federal grant program (Aug. 1, 2023)
- Grants available for building and maintaining recreational trails across South Carolina (Aug. 23, 2022)
- 2022 RTP Grant Cycle - Project Summary
- SCPRT awards grants for 11 trail projects across the state (Jul. 19, 2022)
- Grant assistance available for increasing access to recreational trails across South Carolina (Aug. 31, 2021)
- SCPRT awards grants for 10 Recreational Trail Projects across the state (Jun. 23, 2021)
- 2021 RTP Grant Cycle - Project Summary
- 2020 RTP Grant Cycle - Project Summary
- 2018 & 2019 RTP Grant Cycle - Project Summary
- 2015-2017 RTP Grant Cycle - Project Summary
- South Carolina State Trails Plan (2002)
Various forms and other documentation for RTP project sponsors:
Procurement Certification Form | Reimbursement Request Form | Individual Volunteer Timesheet | Group Volunteer Timesheet | FEMA Equipment Form | Project Completion Form | State Procurement Purchase Procedures (Updated 1/14/2022) | Procurement / Reimbursement Checklist | 2022 Project Status Report | 2023 Project Status Report