Recreational Trails Program
The South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism (SCPRT) administers the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) under the approval of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). RTP, a federally funded program, receives its funding from a portion of federal gas taxes paid on fuel used in nonhighway recreational vehicles.
- Funding is provided by this program on a cost-reimbursement basis — the grant recipient must pay 100% of the cost of an item before submitting a reimbursement request for 80% of eligible costs.
- Funds can be spent on both Motorized and Nonmotorized recreational trail projects — to construct new recreational trails, improve/maintain existing trails, develop/improve trailhead or trailside facilities and acquire trail corridors.
- Eligible applicants include local, state and federal governmental agencies, qualified private organizations, and registered nonprofits.
- Individual trail grants can range from a minimum of $10,000 ($12,500 would be the total project cost) to $100,000 maximum ($125,000—total project cost), with the exception of Motorized projects.
- Motorized trail projects are not limited to $100,000 — these projects are eligible for the maximum amount of Motorized funding available.
SCPRT Accepting LOIs for 2021 RTP Grant Cycle
The South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism encourages interested eligible entities to submit a “Letter of Intent” form for grant funding assistance from the Recreational Trails Program (RTP).
The form can be found here and the deadline for submission is Fri., Nov. 6, 2020. Project sponsors must submit an LOI by the deadline in order to be eligible to apply for RTP grant funding.
For more information on the Recreational Trails Program, contact the State Trails Coordinator, Neal Hamilton, at (803) 363-9282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find relevant information on the 2021 RTP grant cycle and past cycles below:
2021 RTP Education Grant LOI [Due 9/25/2020]
Guidance, Documentation and Forms for Project Sponsors:
Procurement Certification Form | Reimbursement Request Form | Individual Volunteer Timesheet | Group Volunteer Timesheet | FEMA Equipment Form | Project Completion Form | State Procurement Purchase Procedures | Procurement / Reimbursement Checklist | 2020 Project Status Report | 2018 & 2019 Project Status Report