Columbia -- Nine South Carolina college students from hospitality-related programs were given Tourism Student Awards Wednesday during a ceremony at the Lace House in Columbia. The students were recognized for outstanding academic achievement related to hospitality and tourism in South Carolina, including culinary studies.
The students were:
- Hailey Hunter, who majored in Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management at Clemson University;
- Kaleb Thompson, who is majoring in Hospitality, Resort and Tourism Management at Coastal Carolina University;
- Lauren Furey, who is double majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management and Business Administration at the College of Charleston;
- Alexis Ryan, who is majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management at the Culinary Institute of Charleston at Trident Technical College;
- Christopher Rosensteel, a culinary technologies student at the Culinary Institute of the Carolinas;
- D’Arius Tucker, a culinary arts student at Spartanburg Community College;
- Megan Ann Feeney, who is majoring in Hospitality Management at the University of South Carolina, and
- Samantha Moore, who is majoring in Hospitality Management at the University of South Carolina—Beaufort.
Elizabeth Brown, a culinary arts technology student from the International Culinary Institute of Myrtle Beach, also was awarded but did not attend the ceremony.
Each student received a plaque and a $1,000 scholarship.
Sponsored by the South Carolina Travel and Tourism Coalition, the Tourism Student Awards recognizes students who were recommended by faculty for exemplary work. Scholarships are provided through the Fred Brinkman Memorial Fund, which is funded through a silent auction held annually at the Governor’s Conference on Tourism & Travel.
For more information, contact Dawn Dawson-House at email@example.com or 803-734-1779.
Pictured left to right are D’Arius Tucker, Kaleb Thompson, Alexis Ryan, Megan Anne Feeney, SCPRT Director Duane Parrish, Samantha Moore, Hailey Hunter, Christopher Rosensteel and Lauren Furey.